Print ISSN:-2395-1354

Online ISSN:-2395-1362

CODEN : IJOSHC

Article History

Received : 30-11-2020

Accepted : 27-01-2021

Available online : 06-04-2021



Article Metrics




Downlaod Files

   


Article Access statistics

Viewed: 128

PDF Downloaded: 180


A comparative study of instrumented vs non instrumented anterior cervical interbody fusion


Full Text PDF Share on Facebook Share on Twitter


Original Article

Author Details : Ajit Swamy, A Muhammed Anzar*, Tushar Pisal, Keshav Digga

Volume : 7, Issue : 1, Year : 2021

Article Page : 9-16

https://doi.org/10.18231/j.ijos.2021.002



Suggest article by email



Abstract

Introduction: Anterior cervical decompression along with inter-body fusion is widely accepted and gained popularity amongst the spine specialty for managing variety of diseases, which can be categorised as under degenerative disc disease, traumatic conditions, tuberculosis, tumours and miscellaneous.
Materials and Methods: A prospective study of 20 cases of anterior cervical interbody fusions done in our Institute, Dr. D.Y. Patil Medical College, Hospital and Research Centre, Pimpri, Pune, between June 2018 to August 2020 with a follow-up period of 6 months.A detailed history and clinical examination was done according to a specified performa. Radiographs, MRI and other relevant investigations were done. A detailed neurocharting was maintained on admission, post-op, weekly thereafter for 2 weeks and monthly thereafter was done. A written informed consent in the language known to the patient was taken after explaining the details of the surgery and the risks of complications, morbidity and mortality associated
with the same.
Results: In our study, 90% of the patients went onto have a solid fusion at the end while the remaining 10% had a doubtful fusion as the radiological signs of fusion were not seen at one year of follow up even though clinical outcome was good. 70% of the patients who were subjected to plating (instrumented) showed early fusion in the follow up when compared to non-instrumented at the end of 6 months. Almost all the patients
with degenerative disease had fairly good to excellent clinical outcomes post surgery.
Conclusion: Anterior cervical plating helps achieve fusion faster when compared with non-instrumented fusion, with decreased need and period of external immobilization.

Keywords: ACDF, Instrumented, Cervical spine, Discectomy.



How to cite : Swamy A , Anzar A M , Pisal T , Digga K , A comparative study of instrumented vs non instrumented anterior cervical interbody fusion. Indian J Orthop Surg 2021;7(1):9-16


Copyright © 2021 by author(s) and Indian J Orthop Surg. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (creativecommons.org)